Monday, July 1, 2013

June Recap


Holy cow - where has June gone?!?

And sorry about failing to post ANYTHING for close to a week... oops...

I think that I'll make an effort to recap all of the exciting events from each month, at least until I get used to blogging everything regularly.  Soo....

Top Three Events of June 2013

1. I turned 30!!  It was a whirlwind of time with friends and family, and I'm so thankful for the people that I have in my life right now.  My life at 30 may not look like what I expected it to, but I'm changing the things that I can, and enjoying the things that are better than planned in the meantime.  Super blessed.

Thursday Evening:  JiggyCrunk Singalong at AlamoDrafthouse.  Just Google it.

My friend, Annalee, made me homemade cupcakes with 90's images to match the theme of the evening.

A grainy picture with some of our besties.
The husby and me, sweaty after a night of singing and dancing to 90s hip hop.

Friday Evening: Girls' night out!  Dinner at Fonda San Miguel and dancing at the Speakeasy.  My friend, Aimee (in the red cardigan to the far right in the photo), planned the entire night to surprise me.  We had such a great time.

This is the only group shot I have, and it's super blurry because it's from a friends' phone.  Oh well. :)

Annalee and Joy.  I love this picture.


Saturday *my actual Birthday*:  My family took me to breakfast, and then my husband had planned the rest of the day as a surprise.  

I like surprises, if you can't tell.

We started the morning with a massage that included foot reflexology.  It was amazing, and the masseuse actually held himself over me in the bed and used his knees on my back and hips.  Awesome.  AND awkward.  But mostly awesome.  Afterwards, we saw The Great Gatsby at Alamo Drafthouse; it's my favorite Fitzgerald, and I'd been wanting to see it since it first came out.  I loved it.  And it was perfect timing since I wanted to do a whole lot of nothing after two late, LATE nights and a massage.  We then got ready for dinner at Olive + June which was delicious.  I loved the building, the food, their focus on seasonal ingredients - it was a good pick by Jesse. :)  When we got home, my husband gave me my gift - eek! - a Tiffany's pearl necklace from the Gatsby collection.  Shocked, completely.  I felt spoiled and special and thankful all at once.  Everyone needs a husband like mine, I tell you.

2. My husband turned 31!  His birthday fell on Father's Day this year, so it wasn't quite the celebration that I would've loved to have for him, but the day was still fun.  After church, we met my family for lunch at Pappadeaux.  We went to see The Internship afterwards, which far exceeded my expectations, then grabbed dinner at our favorite Mexican food spot.  I surprised him by having all of his guy friends meet him for some dude time at a local bowling place.

Happy 31st, love!

3. For Father's Day, Jesse and I took my parents to Gruene to see Whiskey Shivers and the Wheeler Brothers at Gruene Hall.  The show was amazing.  If you like bluegrass-y, folk-y, rock-y music that's done well, check them out.  I used to go to high school with the drummer from the Wheeler Brothers, so it was crazy to see him and his brother/cousin so "grown up."  Well done, Pat. :)

Whiskey Shivers
the Wheeler Brothers
Wheeler Brothers, 2

 Other than that, June has been a whirlwind of work promotion, classes, paying off debt (we're officially done and saving for a house!), and enjoying life.  I hope that it's been an amazing month for you, too!   

No comments:

Post a Comment