Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Tutorial: Create Your Own Art Prints in PicMonkey

There's something about me that I really don't like.

I'm not artistic.  At ALL.

And as much as I love artwork and prints for wall coverings... shelling out $20-$50 (or more- eek!) a pop kills me slowly on the inside.  And I don't want to die.

So, for the sake of my own life, here's a way that you can create your own artwork and subway prints for very little mula.   Hooray!


Create Your Own Artwork

1. Open PicMonkey - www.picmonkey.com
      - I believe that I had to set-up an account when I first used their website, but it was awhile ago so I'm not sure.  I just use the free option.  

2. Select "Create a Collage."




3.  Your collage will come pre-set with 3 cells.  You'll need to delete 2 of them so you just have one large cell remaining.




4.  Next, you'll need select the background of your collage.  On the far left side, middle of the screen, is a "Swatches" icon.  Click on the icon, and then drag and drop your background swatch choice (you can manipulate the coloring later).



5. You're almost ready to start creating!!  Your last step is to adjust the pixel size down at the bottom of the screen.  




PicMonkey gives the following recommendations for each size photo/collage; I chose the 4x6 in the above example:


3x5 inches:  1500 x 2500 pixels
 4x6 inches:  1600 x 2400 pixels
5x7 inches: 1500 x 2100 pixels
8x8  inches: 2000 x 2000 pixels
8x10 inches:  2000 x 2500 pixels
8.5x11 inches:  1700 x 2200 pixels
9x16 inches: 3200 x 1800 pixels
11x14 inches:  2200 x 2800 pixels
11x17 inches:  2200 x 3400pixels

6. Now, save your collage.  This will be the base of your artwork.  Once saved, go back to PicMonkey's main page again.  This time, select "Edit a Photo," and open the collage that you just saved.



7.  Your screen should look like this, except with your collage selection.  You can see all of the options you have to the far left - add text, add images, adjust color and exposure, etc.  Now it's time to create your artwork!



From the collage that I started with above, I created this print:



If you kept going, you could pair all sorts of prints and photos to make some epic inspiration walls in your home!  I want to try something like this soon:

source

I like to print these out and frame them for gifts and fun decorations around the house.  If you plan to frame them, remember to add a border (usually 1/2" is enough) so the words don't get covered by the frame.  

In my opinion, the best thing about these prints is that you can change them out from season to season or as your mood and decorating style changes.  And these prints are just the beginning - you can make every new piece of art as simple or complex as you'd like, plus you can even include photos or edit photos in the program.  

Have fun creating your own artwork, and send me any questions!!





2 comments:

  1. How fun! What a great idea! Thanks for sharing! Xo, M&K at brewedtogether.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you- I'm so glad you liked it! And, congrats, you're officially my first commenter! :)

    ReplyDelete